Strengthening Personal Leadership Skills - Module 1
As a postdoc, it can be challenging to balance your responsibilities. You are confronted with a multitude of tasks. Next to a researcher, you are also a teacher, coach of students, service provider, … and these different parties (student, PI, colleagues, …) often have other expectations from you.
In this course, we want to support and strengthen the personal leadership skills of postdocs. The trainer will help you to reflect on your strengths and challenges as a leader to reach better understanding. We explore different leadership styles and interaction patterns. We help you to become more skilled in coaching your collaborators and train skills to enable solution focused communication.
The leadership training program consists of 2 separate modules:
- 'Directing one-to-one relationships': interaction patterns, leadership styles & enhancing constructive communication
- 'Teamwork, motivation and conflict': inspiring leadership, enhancing teamwork & dealing with conflicts
Participants who would like to participate in the second module must first take part in the first module, since we build further on the lessons learnt in the first module.
To maximize the relevance and usefulness of the training, participants are invited to fill out an intake questionnaire prior to the training in which they can share personal learning questions & challenges. These are translated by the trainers into case studies & exercises to be used during the training.
Groups consist of maximally 10 participants to guarantee the opportunity for in depth experimenting & reflection to all participants.
- This training is only open for VIB participants and is free.
- Note that upon no show without valid justification a fee of € 100 will be charged and you will be blacklisted for the VIB training program for 1 year. Click here for more information.
- Module 2: Teamwork, motivation and conflict (18 Feb & 18 Mar 2019, Ghent): click here for more information
True Colours® is a creation of Lisa Boelaert and Herwig Deconinck – inspired by 17 years of working together and our shared drive, dream and vision concerning people, development, teamwork & change.
As a change consultancy, True Colours has built a niche within research and academic organisations on the one hand, and they work for profit, non-profit, production and service companies on the other hand.
True Colours coaches:
•Teams (team coaching, conflict mediation, team development, teambuilding)
•Organisations (process support, work conferences and large group interventions, setting up and guiding change programmes, strategy exercises, …)
regarding the changes that are happening to them or in which they find themselves.
True Colours likes to combine their insights and experiences in HR, solutions-focused work practices, organisational design and lean management, and personal and team leadership.
They specialise in short-term projects within a long-term relationship: a thorough knowledge of the client enables us to respond maximally to concrete requests and makes change possible in the short-term. They have been working together with VIB for more that 10 years now.
Module 1: Directing one-to-one relationships (17 & 29 Jan 2019)
Solutions Focus as basic paradigm
- Evolve from problem focused communication to solutions focused communication
- How to make people shift to a more constructive way of dealing with difficulties & setbacks.
- Recognizing and changing interaction patterns
- Sharing expectations and feedback in such a way that colleagues respond to these in an adequate way
- Being demanding when needed without belittling people
Leading & coaching people
- Becoming aware of your personal preferences, challenges and allergies
- Adapting your leadership style to the needs of your colleagues
- Maximally building on the diversity of talents and drives of your collaborators
- Creating a fertile breeding ground for highly skilled professionals
- Coaching people who sometimes are more expert in their domain than you are
Module 2: Teamwork, motivation and conflict (18 Feb & 18 Mar 2019)
For more information click here.
Tel: +32 9 244 66 11