Basics of Single Cell Analysis
Basics of Single Cell Analysis
20 June 2019
This training will give attendees an introduction to state-of-the-art technologies for single cell analysis, including single-cell -omics methods and in situ approaches.
After an introduction to the field and the VIB Single Cell Innovation lab, we start with the most frequently used methods to isolate single cells (flow cytometry and microfluidics).
Given that the material obtained from single cells is limited, specialized sample prep methods are needed to enable single cell -omics experiments. Once the DNA/RNA/Protein sequences have been determined, we move on to the basics of data-analysis for single cell experiments. Next to single -omics, also multi-omics integration for single cells will be discussed. Also, the latest developments for in situ analysis of single cells resulting in information on spatial patterns of for instance gene expression within a tissue section will be approached.
We will close the training with a keynote talk highlighting some biological applications of single cell research.
VIB also offers hands-on training focusing on single cell transcriptomics data analysis. These courses are organized several times a year in Ghent and Leuven. Check the VIB Training website for more information.
This training targets scientists entering the field of single cell analysis and wanting to learn about different preparation and analysis methods. It is aimed at PhD students, postdoctoral fellows or other scientists with a molecular biology background.
- Chris Marine (VIB-KU Leuven Center for Cancer Biology)
- Stéphanie Humblet-Baron (VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research)
- Suresh Poovathingal (VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research)
- Wai Long Tam (VIB HQ Science & Technology)
- Participation is free for VIB participants.
- Registration fee for Academics from Universities and Centers of Excellence is € 50 per day (21% VAT incl.).
- Registration fee for participants of EU-LIFE partner institutes is € 50 per day (21% VAT incl.).
- Registration fee for industry is € 300 per day (21% VAT incl.).
- Note that upon no-show without valid justification you will be blacklisted for the VIB training program for 1 year and for VIB participants the reimbursement of the catering costs (€ 50) will be charged to the research group. Click here for more information
Introduction to Single Cell and the VIB Single Cell Innovation Lab
Michiel Bontinck, VIB HQ Science & Innovation, BE
Flow Cytometry assisted selection of single cells
Frederik De Smet, Department of Imaging and Pathology, KU Leuven, BE
Microfluidics manipulation of single cell
Suresh Poovathingal, VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research, BE
Single Cell transcriptomics
Stein Aerts, VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research, BE
Single Cell Transcriptomics and CITE Seq
Niels Vandamme, VIB-UGent Center for Inflammation Research, BE
In situ analysis
Discovering Inner Cell: from cell types to tissue with Mass Cytometry applications
Olga Karpus, Fluidigm
Multi-omics and microwell based approaches
Lia Chappell, Welcome Sanger Institute, UK
Biological application of single cell research
Long Cai, Division of Biology & Biological Engineering, Caltech, California, US
Leuven is easy to reach by train from all Belgian and European cities. Leuven is a 20-minute train ride from Brussels, 45 minutes from Antwerp, 50 minutes from Liège, 1.5 hours from Paris and 2.5 hours from London, Amsterdam or Cologne.
+32 16 26 70 15