Self-leadership: look within to succeed
09 December 2020
9 till 11 December 2020 (course finishes after lunch on Friday 11 December)
Self-leadership is the process by which a person becomes more comfortable with who they are and what they want, allowing them to fulfill their potential and build a strong foundation from which to take daily decisions – both professional and personal. Self-leadership enables more effective communication, enhanced fulfillment and more balanced decisions. In the world of scientific research, both men and women can benefit from learning and practicing self-leadership to improve their professional and personal lives. This course aims to give the participants support, advice and tools to use in their leadership roles.
In this workshop, we will explore the topic of self-leadership by addressing self-awareness, self-confidence and self-efficacy. At the same time, the workshop provides a space where the participants can exchange ideas and strategies on how to cope with situations they may be facing due to being part of a minority group.
At the end of this workshop, you will:
- recognize that good leadership starts within.
- be more aware of your values, strengths, achievements and intentions.
- understand how personality, biases and stereotypes (your own and those others) impact your leadership.
- feel strengthened in your capacity to find effective and satisfying ways to deal with challenges concerning your professional role.
- identify your own strategies to develop your self-leadership.
- have a clearer view of your different roles in all areas of your life, how you want to be perceived in each one, and how to achieve this.
The format of the workshop is highly interactive and practical, involving case-studies, role play, small group work and discussion sessions. Participants (maximum 16) will get actively involved in the course, discussing their own life experiences and being self-reflective, in a stimulating and guided process. They will acquire tools that can be readily used in daily life.
Postdocs, last year PhD students and junior group leaders from VIB
- Registration is only open for VIB participants and is free.
- Note that upon no show without valid justification a fee of € 100 will be charged and you will be blacklisted for the VIB training program for 1 year. Click here for more information
Melissa Davies founded negoservices in 2000. Graduate from the London School of Economics, Melissa is an international consultant with wide experience in strategic and operational management, particularly in the fields of IT, project management, organisational development, partnership brokering and fundraising. A professional independent negotiator, Melissa has over 18 years experience in negotiating agreements and building lasting partnerships in both national and international environments, and in training in negotiation skills and conflict management.
Stéphanie Ruder Schoof
Stéphanie is an international team and leadership development coach and trainer. She has more than 17 years experience of helping executives and managers develop their leadership, self-leadership, interpersonal communication, assertiveness and emotional intelligence skills. She has done this through individual and team coaching and training. She has developed, designed and facilitated seminars in dozens of multinational corporations in the finance, pharmaceutical, biotechnology and public sectors. She is experienced in experiential team building, organizational culture change and leading in challenging situations.
She has a solid reputation for helping the individual align and leverage their unique strengths and values with high performance. Her effectiveness in working with organizations is in large part due to her extensive business and HR management experience in several US and European companies. She has held positions in finance, general management and marketing. Based in Switzerland, she has worked throughout Europe. Stéphanie has also lived and worked in Dubai and the US.
Stéphanie holds a Master in Economic and Business Management (HEC Lausanne, 1987). She is certified in various psychometric assessment instruments and and is an Integral Master Coach™.
She lives with her husband in a small village near the Lake of Geneva. Her interests lie in personal development, natural horsemanship (she owns her own horse), nature, hiking, and reading, Her motto: “Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain” – Vivian Greene
Strenghtening self-awareness: "who am I"
- be clear(er) on who I am: personality, values, communication style, ...
- be aware of my competencies and skills
- understanding biases and stereotypes
- understand what roles I have in my (personel and professional) life
- imagine what I want to achieve within each role
- reflect on other roles I may want to have
Strenghtening self-confidence: "I believe in myself, I trust I can do it"
- build on my achievements
- deal with emotions
- feel self-confident and radiate it
- deal with difficult situations in the workplace
- ask for and receive feedback
Strenghtening self-efficacy: "getting to where I want to be: what is my next step"
- how to deal with stress and pressure
- work-life balance
- developing strategies to get where I want to be
- case-studies from participants
- peer coaching