Initiation GIMP & Inkscape
16 June 2020
Following software will be used:
- GIMP 2.10 (http://www.gimp.org/downloads/)
- Inkscape 0.92 (https://inkscape.org/en/download/)
A laptop will be provided to each participant.
- This course is free for VIB participants
- Registration fee for non-VIB academics is 50 euro.
- This course is not open for industry.
- Note that upon no show without valid justification you will be blacklisted for the VIB training program for 1 year. Click here for more information.
Christof De Bo
During this introduction you learn the basics about images and figures; what is the difference between bitmap and vector, what is resolution, what is pixel density. The most popular image file types are explained and when/how to use compression. VIB (like many others) has a guideline document about scientific image manipulations and ethical concepts.
GIMP (prepare images for publication)
- Open image files
- Image Properties
- Using selections
- Using Layers
- Contrast & brightness
- Saving/Exporting/compressing images
- Video tutorials on YouTube
Inkscape (annotate plots and images, create figures, diagrams, schemes, ...)
- Open/Import image files
- Drawing/Editing lines
- Path propeties (nodes, segments)
- Fill/stroke properties
- Aligning and distributing objects
- Text and text options
- Live path effects
- Saving/Exporting drawings
- Video tutorials on YouTube (infographics)